As part of a year long senior projects course, I designed, built, and flew a quadcopter with two other students. I was responsible for the mechanical design and electrical systems. The other two students oversaw the onboard programming and the development of an Android app to control the quadcopter. 

Acting as a mock company, we had to present our initial project purpose and other related goals. Throughout the year, we had to write project and research updates, maintain a timeline and goals, and present our progress. We had to contact professionals from our community to act as mentors on the project. We are greatly appreciative to our mentors from Lockheed Martin, Sierra Nevada Corporation, Northrop Grumman, and Sparkfun. We are especially grateful for the opportunity that we had to job shadow at Lockheed Martin.

Below are several documents recording our progress. The proposals outline our initial objectives. The journals contain my research and progress updates.

Project Proposal                                                        Mechanical Proposal

Journal #1                                                                 Journal #2

Journal #3                                                                 Journal #4 

Journal #5                                                                                     

We tested our initial design and the android app. By adjusting the thrust values, we briefly achieved flight. The android phone connects with the quadcopter using bluetooth. 

Without the tether shown above, we tested the quadcopter. Because we flew it in such a confined space, it quickly drifted, hitting the wall. There was no serious damage; a propeller or two popped off, but were very easy to put back on. 

In this video, we tested the attitude control capabilities of our new flight controller. Initially we tested the quadcopters ability to maintain an angle as I pulled down on one arm. It was surprisingly difficult to move it. We then modulated the pitch and roll values to test the system. Because we were only testing along one axis, we couldn’t see the complete functionality of the system. 

Skip to toolbar